Saturday, May 7, 2016

Silver Linings


I'm on a personal writing retreat at the moment in an old fashioned little beach town somewhere off the southern coast of the United States. I typically watch movies or exercise when I need to completely disengage from my work. I try to choose movies that cause me to think or those that are known for fabulous dialogue.
Last night I watched Silver Linings Playbook for the first time. Impressive acting... every single role. But of course, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawerence's performances stand above the rest.
In every movie I choose, there is typically a quote by one of the characters that becomes a tasty morsel to my thoughts. I latch onto it and begin to process it into my own life. As soon as the line is spoken, I know its the reason I needed to watch it.
Silver Linings Playbook was no exception.
Not too far into the movie, the bottom line of the movie comes out in something Bradley Cooper says to his parents after coming home from an 8 month stay in a mental hospital. He is determined to set a new direction for his life. With passion and fortitude, he responds to his parents' concerns with this statement, "You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to take all this negativity and use it as fuel and I'm going to find the silver lining...that's what I'm going to do! And that's no bullshit! Now that takes work... and thats the truth!"
The silver lining I have looked for since my husband died has been purpose. How will I take the negativity from the great loss and use it as fuel for my life to go higher? How will this help my purpose? How will this life experience propel me even stronger into the direction God has planned for me? How will it secure my purpose even more? How can this negativity in my life be used as fuel to help others who have had similar negativity come at them.
This kind of thinking helps me look to the future instead of continually looking back at the painful circumstances. I challenge myself every time I think, "Now, what am I going to do with this? How do I see God using this for good?"
In addition to purpose, the other silver lining is that it has caused me to live my life with even more boldness...because, as we know, life is short. Be real. Be honest. Be compassionate. Show mercy. Forgive. Love deeply. Don't hold back love. Break down walls. Enjoy others.
Follow God in spite of the negativity, toward the silver linings that are there, if I only look for them... like a well crafted, thought provoking quote buried in the dialogue of a movie.  And if I look hard enough for the silver linings, they come to me.
Keep your eyes straight ahead. Because the silver linings are ahead of you, not behind you.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me that there is always a silver lining! Like Paul, I must keep pressing ahead. Thanks friend! Happy Mother's Day. Hope to see you when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silver linings for you and your family makes my heart feel at peace. A JOY filled peace! Sending a hug to all of you!❤️ Thanking God for the silver linings to come!😘❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know your loss but I lost my first husband to cancer. I, too, felt a lot of loss and “negativity.” But, I see some of that as normal grieving. And if we don’t deal with our grief over time, it will cause us issues in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right. Some people bury their grief, push it under the rug, and pretend life is back to “business as usual”...it will come back and find you. Whether it’s realized or not, grief will manifest itself in your body, somehow, some way. Thank you for sharing Denise!

    ReplyDelete